Monday, November 7, 2022

All about cowboys.








“Cowboy” is a word that implies much more than it means. To my way of thinking, one of the best definitions of the word is that applied by the late cowboy author Eugene Manlove Rhodes: “the hired man on horseback.” My dad used to say that the way to tell a real cowboy was by the cowsh*t on his boots. It all comes down to cows and horses.

Granted, those definitions may be too limiting, especially today. But, thanks to the days when Westerns dominated movie and TV screens, “cowboy” came to be applied to too many kinds of people, most of whom had no idea which end of a cow gets up first, and had never had manure on their boots. Outlaws, lawmen, gamblers, gunfighters, and all manner of others who appeared in Westerns (except those gathered under the likewise too-broad term, “Indians”) were referred to collectively as “cowboys.”

A while back I was approached by Shepherd.com, a web site devoted to readers, and asked to list five books I thought represented something important in the literature of the American West. I titled my contribution “The best novels about cowboys who are actually cowboys” and wrote a brief note about each of my five selections. Each novel on the list carries a storyline that revolves around cowboys doing actual cowboy work. While works of fiction, all the books feature an authentic look at cowboys, cowboy work, and cowboy life.  

Take a look at the list on Shepherd.com. See what you think. You may disagree with my selections or my premise or my reasoning. You may be inspired to read one or more of those books if you haven’t already. For more years than I care to remember, reading and writing about cowboys is as close as I have come to having cowsh*t on my boots. But I still haven’t forgotten which end of a cow gets up first.

NOTE: I borrowed the bronze sculpture pictured above from noted Western artist Jeff Wolf—he’s a cowboy born and raised, and knows whereof he sculpts.

4 comments:

  1. “ For more years than I care to remember, reading and writing about cowboys is as close as I have come to having cowsh*t on my boots.”

    Now tell me again, how many years did you spend in the advertising business?.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ! All told, about 40. But that's bullsh*t, not cowsh*t.

      Delete
  2. I would add Leaving Cheyenne by McMurtry and The Man That Listens To Horses by Monty Roberts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I have read many of McMurtry's novels, Leaving Cheyenne is not among them. I will give it a read.
      The book by Monty Roberts may be a fine one, but it is not a novel so would not qualify for the list.

      Delete