Sunday, November 28, 2021

Really stupid words, Chapter 19.





If I said, “People use a lot of really stupid words and phrases,” someone may well reply, “I know, right?”

I know, right?

I hear that all the time. I even read it sometimes. I have no idea what it means. The first part seems straightforward. You hear, “I know,” and it is fairly safe to assume the speaker is agreeing with what you said. But then they add, “right,” inflected as a question. What does it mean? Are they asking you to agree with their agreement? Are they asking you to agree that they know? Are they asking you to acknowledge that you heard what they said? Are they asking you to verify that you believe what you said was correct? Is there an expected response at all?

If not, why ask the question? 

I don’t know, wrong?


6 comments:

  1. You're right. This phrase makes no sense. Recently, I had a brief conversation where I disparaged a politician. "The guy is a dolt," I said. The other person replied, "I know, right?" After a second or two of confusion, I answered "I believe I am right. Right?" Would you believe he said, "I know, right?" I smiled, realizing the conversation was already too long. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two great comments. I wish I could give them, and your blog, a smiley emoticon.

    ReplyDelete