Thursday, June 15, 2023

Some cowboy.













Not long ago, we lost a good friend of mine. Jim Fain is gone, but won’t soon be forgotten. Jim was a photographer of many talents, but specialized in rodeo action. I’ve got more than a few photos signed by Fain. Hundreds, thousands, of rodeo cowboys over the past sixty years can say the same thing.

The photo above is not typical of his work but, as he always did, Jim captured the essence of a story.

The year was 1973. It was Labor Day weekend, “Cowboy Days” in Evanston, Wyoming. Back then the arena had no lights so the rodeo was held Saturday and Sunday afternoon. The weather turned bad on Saturday—a deluge so heavy the rodeo committee pulled the plug and re-scheduled for Sunday morning. Then it rained some more. And snowed.

Mud, water, ice, and muck covered the arena come morning, but the show must go on. I was up in the first event, the bareback riding. In the cold, with icy fingers, and on the back of a frosty, dripping wet horse I did a sorry job of setting my bareback rigging. When the horse turned back into a spin, my rigging went over the side and so did I. Then the horse landed on me, stomping me deeper into the mire. I have other Fain photos that show it all.

Jim snapped the shutter on this picture as I waded back to the bucking chutes. I was soaked, muddy, and cold. My face and eyes were gritty. My hat was mashed. So was I. All in all, I was a mess. The few fans in the stands thought it funny. At the time, it didn’t seem funny to me.

A misadventure, recorded for all time through Jim Fain’s camera lens. The sad thing is, this photo is my favorite from the album documenting my rodeo career. Some cowboy, huh?

 


11 comments:

  1. Great story Mini!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Condolences on the loss of a friend. Great photo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Fain was a friend for more than fifty years.

      Delete
  3. Hah! I remember seeing that photo in your office, but I never knew the background story. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always rained at Evanston! Sad to hear about “ Photo “ Fain. Him and Karen took good care of us wandering buckaroos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did indeed. Seeing them at rodeos for more than 50 years was half the fun of being there.

      Delete
  5. Had the honor of being on the May page of Faun’s 1977 Rodeo calendar aboard Stephens Brothers Sunday Punch. Great times!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We ran a ton of Jim's photos in American Cowboy back in the day. He and Dan Hubbell were two of the rodeo photographers who went everywhere and shot everything. The story of rodeo over the last 50 years belongs to them and a rare few others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right you are, Jesse. We are unlikely to see the likes of them--or the old American Cowboy magazine you made into such a gem--again.

      Delete