Saturday, February 12, 2022

At the movies.







One of my favorite movies, and certainly one of my favorite Westerns, is Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

I am fully aware that it bends and twists history until reality is unidentifiable, and faithfulness to actual events is lacking. Still, it does have some basis in fact. And, let’s face it, it’s not as if even the most studied scholars and historians agree about the exploits and adventures, the villainy and vices, the lives and deaths of Robert LeRoy Parker and Harry Alonzo Longabaugh.

What do I like about the movie? For one thing, it’s funny, and humor is one thing that’s sadly lacking in Old West film and fiction. The picture above portrays the climax of one of the movie’s most hilarious moments, Butch and Sundance’s escape from a persistent posse by leaping from a cliff to a river below following a furiously funny debate. Then there’s the fact that the actors, Paul Newman and Robert Redford, are masters of the craft and their partnership here, as well as in The Sting, is inspired given the on-screen chemistry between them. And it’s well written and well-directed. Finally, much of the movie was shot in and around my home state of Utah, showcasing the wild beauty of our varied landscape.

I don’t know how many times I’ve watched Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. I last loaded up the DVD a few months ago. And it won’t be too many months before I see it again.

 


6 comments:

  1. Been long time since I’ve seen that movie, Rod. Thanks for the quick review and reminder and I agree with you it was a lot of fun to watch despite its departure to reality!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops – that should be departure FROM reality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll pretend it was a text and blame it on autocorrect.

      Delete
  3. That particular duo of actors is unbeatable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Tanya. Although Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duvall in LONESOME DOVE are right up there.

      Delete