Monday, April 1, 2019

A fond, but frightened, farewell.


While researching a forthcoming novel, A Thousand Dead Horses, based on historic horse-stealing in California, I inadvertently discovered a conspiracy whose tentacles continue to affect equine commerce to this day.
The FBI and federal prosecutors discourage my revealing too much, so I will only say the criminal organizations(s) descended from the original cabal are behind numerous scandals in the Thoroughbred horse-racing community throughout the twentieth century, including the 2002 Breeders Cup betting affair, doping by Godolphin Stables, even reaching across the sea to Australia’s Fine Cotton scandal.
Illegalities are still rampant, with suspicions (based on considerable evidence) that these criminal organizations are behind (or at least involved in) the present difficulties at California’s venerable Santa Anita racetrack.
I can say nothing more without endangering ongoing investigations by the Department of Justice and the attorneys general of several states. My research, they believe, which landed me in the middle of this muddle, has put me in danger and, owing to threats received, I am inclined to believe I have been targeted.
As a result, the United States Marshal Service has enrolled me in the witness protection program. As part of leaving my past life behind, “writer Rod Miller” becomes a mere footnote in history. I appreciate each of you, my readers, and hope this nightmare ends in th




28 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Carla. There's no fool like an old fool, and heaven knows I'm getting up there in years.

      Delete
  2. Betty detected the April fool before Bill did. She says her wishful thinking that no such thing should happen to you brought the April fool to mind. But that Santa Anita disaster is a real puzzle that should be ended!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bill. (I am not surprised that Betty caught on first.) Happy April Fool’s Day!

      Delete
  3. Dang - you really had me going there!! Almost forgot it is April Fool's Day - I always remember April the 1st as the start of National Poetry Month - how about some cowboy poetry for poetry month - if the FBI will let ya' Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephanie. Happy April Fool’s Day! (And Poetry Month.)

      Delete
  4. Luckily, Rod, I woke up remembering it is April Fool'Day today.

    However, I am ready to read the book!

    Carry on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. And Happy April Fool’s Day! That book likely won't see print until next year. But there is another one that might make it to ink this year. PINEBOX COLLINS is all about a one-legged itinerant undertaker in the Old West.

      Delete
  5. I believed every word up till the end when it dawned on me what today is, because horse racing is used as drug money laundering here. You will pay, Rod Miller! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vicky. Put it on my account. Happy April Fool’s Day!

      Delete
  6. You got me, Rod, and just after I had noted the date was April Fool's. You're good. Dang good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They say there's no fool like an old fool, but they've never seen an old April fool! Good one, Rod!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Duke. I noted in an earlier reply that this fool is surely an old fool. Happy April Fool’s Day!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks. And Happy April Fool’s Day to you, too.

      Delete
  9. You had me for a few minutes. (It was early morning.) And the "goodbye" tagline gave me a start. "But he looks so healthy," or, "I guess the vagaries of the writing life got to him and he's quitting." A very successful joke.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Goodbye and good luck! Have you thought of using Rawhide Robinson as your new alias?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think the name Rawhide Robinson--much like George Washington or Abe Lincoln--is so well known no one would believe it should I attempt that identity. Happy April Fool’s Day!

      Delete
  11. Rod, an old student of mine is engaged in big-time quarter-horse racing with -- honestly -- cartel involvement in the laundering of money through the sport. So that, a good mare might now bring $900,000. Am beginning a book on the subject. For real, old bud, for real. And, as you know, I laugh at danger. Ha. JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watch your back, friend John. They are everywhere. Happy April Fool’s Day!

      Delete
    2. John, I was about to write you and link you to this article of Rod's and ask you to give your opinion on its veracity - honestly, I was - and then I clicked on the comments. I didn't open his email on April 1. Didn't see it until today, so I made no connection to April Fool's. But as for you, once your own book is out, you'll be writing this letter of Rod's for real, and we can only say, "I told you so."

      Delete
  12. I was thinking about a witty repartee when I read the date. I am glad it's not goodbye. 😊

    ReplyDelete